Day 5 - Saint Malo
So, thanks to Blogger shutting down on me, this is attempt No.2 at today's blog.
Today we cycled to Saint Malo, through some lovely French countryside and pretty villages.
Saint Malo was apparently named after a Welsh monk, Maclou, or Malo, who came to Brittany in the 6th century. During the 1600s and 1700s it was a stronghold for privateers (pirates who were supported by the King); among other things their job was to see off enemy ships.
The "original" Saint Malo is set inside some impressive walls and is known as the "intramuros" (within the walls). It's just how you would imagine an old walled city - a maze of narrow, cobbled streets filled with beautiful buildings, cafes and lovely shops. You can also walk along the walls and the views around the bay are stunning.
After a pitstop of coffee and a crèpe (Nutella) we headed out of the intramuros, along the beach front and back to the campsite.
After the compulsory post-ride beer in the campsite bar, we went down to the pool. I'd love to say we did some swimming, but we didn't. We sat in the jacuzzi bit, then had a nap on the sun loungers!
I made cassoulet for tea. It's a traditional French casserole made with sausages. So I used proper Toulouse sausages and I have to say, it was lush! Who says you can't eat well while you're travelling?
A few more of today's photos:
The cassoulet!
Comments
Post a Comment